About the Chapter
The Central Iowa Chapter of the National Weather Association's goal is to improve the weather knowledge of the general public.
The chapter works on projects with the goal of benefiting the local community. We also provide grants for various weather-related projects. For more information about our chapter, please browse the rest of our website.
Visit the National Organization
*** Conference Update - Invited Speakers (12/13/2017) ***
To kick off our 22nd conference, we are bringing in some very special invited speakers:
- Bill Read (KPRC Hurricane Expert, former Director, National Hurricane Center) will discuss Hurricane Harvey in Houston area.
- Patrick Marsh (Storm Prediction Center) will cover latest happenings at SPC, and look back at 2017 severe weather.
- Julie Demuth (National Center for Atmospheric Research) will talk about the public reaction to warnings, and use of social media to convey hazardous weather information.
- Erik Rasmussen (NSSL/CIMMS) will discuss the theories and processes regarding tornadogenesis.
- Josh Wurman (Center for Severe Weather Research) will give the banquet talk that features the 20th anniversary of Spencer SD tornado and what have improved radars revealed about near-ground tornado winds.
News & Announcements
Wednesday, December 6
Perfect Games, Ames
Meeting starts at 7pm
Dinner at 6:30pm, games after meeting
2018 Conference Dates
March 22nd - March 24th, 2018