About the Chapter
The Central Iowa Chapter of the National Weather Association's goal is to improve the weather knowledge of the general public.
The chapter works on projects with the goal of benefiting the local community. We also provide grants for various weather-related projects. For more information about our chapter, please browse the rest of our website.
Visit the National Organization
*** Conference Update - Invited Speakers (02/21/2019) ***
To kick off our 23rd conference, we are bringing in some very special invited speakers:
- Dr. Leigh Orf, University of Wisconsin-Madison, will be our banquet speaker and present his amazing super high-resolution modeling results of a tornadic thunderstorm.
- Dr. Matt Parker, North Carolina State University, will cover the challenges of predicting whether or not a rotating storm produces a tornado.
- Kim Klockow, NOAA/NSSL, will focus on communication of servere weather risk.
- Stanley Kite, Director of Craven County Emergency Management, will speak on Hurricane Florence's impacts.
- Chris Smith from WJHG-TV in Panama City will discuss Hurricane Michael.
- Gayland Kitch (Emergency Manager from Moore, OK) will take a look back at the 1999 Moore F5 tornado.
- Alex Hoon, NWS - Reno, will cover the Redding, CA firenado of 2017 and the recent Camp fire.
- NWS-DMX forecasters and Steve Flann and Billy Fox of Vermeer Inc. in Pella, IA will discuss the July 19 tornado outbreak, while DMX forecasters cover the severe flash flood in June in Des Moines.
- Another popular, hands-on, interactive radar workshop.